Wedding Weekend Details
Last updated: 11am 8/1/2012
Folks - many people have had good questions about more specifics - here are the answers to what has been asked so far! We’ll update this post with more info if need be!
Bike Rental Questions
(for details on the Bike Parade see below)
- We have reserved (but not rented) bikes for about 40 people based on the RSVP survey from Bike and Roll.
- Bike and Roll will show up with a truck full of bikes on Saturday & you will rent them yourselves (with help from Christine, our wedding coordinator)
- The bikes are $28.50 per bike for 3 hours, please bring exact change .
- We will have an assortment of bike sizes, but it will be “first come first served.”
- If you want to make sure you get a bike, and have a bike that fits you, we recommend renting bikes separately on your own - more info on that here: Bike Options
General Weather Questions
- The current forecast says that both Saturday & Sunday will be partly cloudy & 60ºF day / 54ºF.
- San Francisco weather is notoriously variable - it can change from hour to hour & block to block.
- The answer is always LAYERS, most of the time a tshirt & jeans is a good base for anything & a light jacket for daytime, medium for evening.
- If you run warm, shorts are actually a reasonable bet until evening time. Especially if you have a sweatshirt with you in case it gets colder.
- If you run cold, having a light jacket during the day & a medium to heavy for the evening will do well.
- As for jackets & sweatshirts, having something you can tie around your waist is a good choice.
Event Clothing Suggestions
- Saturday Bike Parade: Totally casual - summer wear (for anyone not from SF, this could feel more like fall) but with a reasonable chance it will be a tad cold. Jeans, sneakers, tank top and extra layers are the way to go.
- Saturday Dinner: Dinner will be indoor and on the fun side of dressy. Most dinner guests will go directly to the dance party after dinner, it will be a short walk. We won’t be changing between the two events.
- Saturday FlashDance: Whatever you feel like. We will be sparkly, shiny, festive, and you will get points for the same, but should wear whatever makes you happy and dancey. Wear (or bring) good dancing shoes, and be sure to bring a jacket.
- Sunday Wedding/Sunday Streets: Think summer wedding meets the county fair. Our wedding is basically in the midst of the street festival & guests will probably be roaming the street festival afterwards - so dress for a wedding, but be comfortable to stroll, bike, roam afterwards.
MORE EVENT DETAILS
Saturday Bike Parade:
- We will leave from our house, on bikes, at 12:30pm & return around 3
- The bike ride will be slow, casual, and beginner friendly
- There will be at least one loud, festive, music bike (ours!)
- There will be ride monitors and helpers along,
- You will be riding at your own risk & should only ride if you feel comfortable doing so
- We will be riding roughly 2.5 miles each way, with plenty of stops at lights and the like
- We will ride from our house (in the Mission) to the Conservatory of Flowers in Golden Gate Park (doing a modified Wiggle for you SF bikers)
- For those of you not coming to the ride, check this out (!) and feel free to roam the neighborhood & explore!
Saturday Flash Dance:
- FlashDance is a series of free, outdoor dance party’s ‘Deep has been putting on since 2005
- No, they aren’t strictly legal. They have been shut down by the police a few times, but usually not.
- For info on the motivations behind, the types of music played, etc see www.flashdance.org
- For dinner guests, the Flash Dance will be at Ferry Plaza, a short walk from the dinner location
- The BEST way to get to the Flashdance will be to take BART (to Embarcadero Station) from most neighborhoods, or bus or cab. BART stops running after midnight, so you can take it both ways.
Sunday Streets / Wedding
- The wedding will happen at noon out front of our house at 937 Valencia St.
- Starting 1 hour before the wedding & continuing on tip 4pm, Valencia Street will be closed off to cars, and opened to pedestrians, bicyclists, skaters, and everyone else.
- The wedding will be a part of Sunday Streets itself.
- Guest are encouraged to participate in & enjoy Sunday Streets before and after our wedding ceremony. Plan to walk, or bike (free 1 hr rentals (see here)), skate, or just sit and watch it all go by. There are activities at all health/enthusiasm levels, from listening to bands, to board games, to free yoga classes, to roller skating. Feel free to participate in as much or as little as you like.
- Here is a map of just the PLANNED Sunday Streets events - this doesn’t cover all the unplanned ones!